Sunday, October 25, 2009

Jack Pops

A few months ago, Mendi and I decided to tackle Bakerella's cake pops. They were more involved than we anticipated. Don't get me wrong, they came out super cute.....just time consuming and a little frustrating. We picked up some tips by trial and error. So I thought I would give them another shot. I thought Jack Pops would be cute for Halloween teacher gifts.


Now for detailed instructions you can go to Bakerella.com. This is just my interpretation with some hints and tips that worked for me.

First you start with one baked cake(use any box mix you like). After it is has cooled, crumble it into a large bowl and mix with your favorite tub of frosting. Here I used Betty Crocker's Chocolate Fudge and Cream Cheese frosting.


Next shape into balls a little smaller than a walnut ( big is too hard to dip, the smaller the better).


Now take your lollipop sticks and dip them into the candy melts then insert into balls. I did this last night and let freeze over night.


After they have firmed up (I'm telling you at least 12 hours in the freezer) now you can melt you candy melts over a double boiler. The package says you can microwave them also.....but you have more control over the consistency if you use a double boiler. Another helpful tip is to spoon a little shortening into the bowl. This helps to thin it out a bit.


Now you are ready to take the firm and chilled cake pops and dip them gently into the melted candy coating. Rotating them quickly and tapping them to get the excess off. Then stick them in some Styrofoam blocks to cool, once the coating has hardened you can decorate them. I used food writing markers to make the faces. I also used green tic tacs for the stems.


Now you're ready to bag them and tie some cute ribbon on.

1 comment:

  1. Wow they are super cute but it looks like a lot of work! And you're right, they will make wonderful teacher gifts! -April

    ReplyDelete